Sayfalar

28 Ağustos 2006 Pazartesi

Fell in love with Austria...

First, I need to apologize but I have to write this particular blog in english:)

for the past couple days, I had one of the best trips in my life. I flew to Vienna to meet Janet and Julie. we were supposed to meet in Vienna and the rest was a surprise for me.

I arrived to Vienna - land of Sissi - on wed night. Since I couldn't get the msg telling me to wait at the hotel, I went to schonbrunn to find Janet and Julie. luckily, I found them in time. It was past 10 pm therefore I didn't have a chance to see the palace itself. but even from the outside, you can feel how big it is. anyways, after the meeting we came back to the hotel, and had the famous Sachertorte:)


I always had a sympathy for Vienna because of Sissi. Those who know me would understand what I mean. I am a Sissi fan. I think it is because of the lovely movies they made half a century ago. anyways, I didn't have time to visit Schönbrunn where she lived but at least I saw Hofburg from outside:

The trip to the surprise began thursday afternoon after the short walk around. I still didn't know where we were going as Janet kept it as a secret. I finally got a name at the station: Hallstatt but I had no idea it looked like this:


I felt like I was in one of those movies, which is shot at a heaven-like place. to get to Hallstatt, you need to take a boat as you reach the other side of the lake by the train. it is only a couple mins ride to the other side. but you can get a nice view of the town from the boat.

as we landed and walked to find our little pension, we recognized the beauty of the town more and more. all the houses had similar looks with colorful flowers on the windows. It tooks us 10-15 mins to find our little "home" for 2 days. at first I thought it was a small, ordinary place. but then when I looked out the window I have seen this:

as elizabeth says in pride and prejudice: I can never think of a more happily situated place on earth (or hers was something similar) I felt like I could spent a whole week just looking at this scene. or I could just live in Halstadt:)

Friday was the day of ice caves. according to our tour book it was about 6.5 km and a cable away from where we stayed. so instead of taking a cab we decided to walk. well it was one of the best decisions we made cause we saw these on the way:


the ice caves were one of a kind. I had never seen ice in caves before. but I have to admit I liked the scene from the top more than the caves itself. this picture is taken by Janet from the exit of the caves. I think we were around 1500 mt. high. you can barely see the lake and the town. but the view is spactacular:)

our little cave visit was followed by a town tour on the same day. this was a house in Halstadt, like most others. I had never seen a tree grow like this before. it was an actual pear tree. I couldn't taste them but looked yummy.

Also, we had really nice dinner and wine in a local restaurant. the food was really good. I especially liked the mushrooms. oh, they were soo delicous. we went there the other night too:) and the wine... we regreted we didn't get the brand name but just the zweigelt (which turned out to be the grape kind!!!!)

unfortunately, we had to leave the other day to go back to vienna. It was really hard to leave the town and the lovely seen behind but Vienna and a concert was waiting for us.

There is not much to say for the rest of the trip. we kept walking around the city. went to a concert at Mozarthaus. it was a tiny room almost as my living area size but the acustic was really good. we read Mozart actually played in that room and liked the acustic (this is how I knew about it, not that I am an expert on the topic!!!)

Later at night, we went to a festival by townhall. there were stands of different food and drinks. We wished we were hungry:) hahha, but that didn't keep me from getting a sausage before we left. poor Janet, she had to walk me across the town just to find one. but it worth it.

I always hate farewells and departure. we left on sunday morning and promised to meet again maybe directly at Halstadt this time.

all I know, I will go back to Vienna and visit all the palaces I haven't seen this time and go to Halstadt again for a nice time off. could be a perfect place for a honeymoon if I ever find the right guy:))))

0 yorum: